Monday, November 1, 2010

Finally Fall

As Fall quickly approaches I have a sudden desire to cook and create.
Although I feel a bit more challenged these day with my whole Gluten Free issue...
I refuse to let that get me down!
I am dreaming of warm comfort foods that will satisfy my Fall cravings!

My first attempt was last week-
I have been baking and cooking up a storm for the rest of my family
but there was nothing GF that I could have sooooo...
I decided to try my hand at a zucchini bread -Gluten Free-with my name on it!
Of course once I make it and everyone smelled it-
they all wanted to taste it!
I suppose that's a good sign.





The batter was beautiful and already smelled so good.

It rose and got golden-just as I had hoped .

Came out of the pan without falling apart!

Once I cut it- I couldn't resist...I had to try it!
It was PERFECT!
I don't remember where I actually found this recipe,
(my apologies to the original chef)
because I was frantically copying recipes from all over the GF Blogisphere.
I followed this one to the T and it came delicious!

GF Zucchini Bread

This recipe makes one loaf.

1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 ½ cups freshly shredded zucchini
½ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cups of your favorite GF flour mix
1 teaspoon xanthan gum for each cup of flour

Shred the zucchini and chop the walnuts in a food processor and set them aside.

Use a mixer to beat the eggs and add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Slowly pour in the flour and xanthan gum until well mixed. By hand, mix in the zucchini and walnuts. Pour in greased & floured loaf pan and bake at 350F degrees for 75 minutes. Let cool.


My first baking attempt was a success and I

am anxious to begin baking more GF goodies that

I can enjoy with the rest of my family.

I hope you try this recipe- I'm sure you won't be disappointed.


4 comments:

Toni said...

I can almost smell that beautiful bread! Wow! Going to pass this recipe on to a GF friend.

What type of GF flour did you use?

Ruth Trowbridge said...

Hi Susan - Nice to see you posting again. I have been gluten free for 18 years now! Egggaaads! I still crave grilled cheese, peanut butter toast, pizza and licorice (yes this has wheat in it), but haven't had one bite. I was dying, as were you, feeding the bacteria and parasites in my body who sent signals to my brain that I "needed more" wheat. I ate a whole pizza without feeling full at the end, before I stopped. Any questions you have don't be shy to ask, I have tried most all substitutes. One thing I do when I need some "bread" is deep frying. The batter is egg, 2 tbsp. corn flour or meal, 2 tbsp. buckwheat (I use any other flour I have on hand here, could be all corn but is better mixed), a big pinch of salt and paprika (any pepper is good) and tumeric (not a common spice very healthy I put in almost everything gives a layer of flavor that is sometimes missing without the cooked wheat and it fights candida). Stir with fork in a bowl. Dip in meat pieces, onion rings, squash blossoms. Cook on medium high heat in olive oil. Hope that wasn't too complicated, but it really does get me past cravings! Thicken gravy with corn starch. Rice and corn pastas are great for quick meals, and to fill the carbo void and allowing you to eat the same meal as your table guests. Your zucchini bread looks awesome! peace

Susan said...

Toni I used a standard Gluten Free flour that I bought in the GF section of my supermarket. I havent really experimented yet with different flours!

RuralRose- thanks so much for your comment. I will try your quick fix for sure. I am having trouble finding healthy snacks that satisfy me at night when my family is nibbling on cookies or cakes that I bake for them. This recipe worked for a while but I find myself eating rice cakes with peanut butter and jelly...boring! Any suggestions?

Ruth Trowbridge said...

popcorn!!! peace