Monday, January 18, 2010

Chickpea, Tomato, & Barley Soup

I was going through my favorite blogs this morning and came across a link to another blog that I had never seen before Buff Chickpea. What an awesome blog- there are so many wonderful recipes and I cant wait to make each and every one of them!
There was one though that caught my eye and I had to rush right into the kitchen and make it for lunch.
Chickpea, Tomato, & Barley Soup
-this recipe was simple -I had all the ingredients in my pantry and boy was it delicious!
I will surely make this one again- its a keeper!
Chickpea, Tomato, & Barley Soup
Adapted from Body and Soul Magazine

1 cup barley
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
2 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish

Rinse barley clean under running water. Place in a medium bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for 1 hour; drain.

In a 5-quart Dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Add bay leaves, paprika, cumin, barley, broth, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes or until barley is tender.

Add tomatoes and chickpeas and cook for 20 minutes or until flavors have blended. Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.

Thank you Hayley and I love your blog!


2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks and sounds delicious.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Mmmm... it would be easy to lose weight eating delicious, hearty soups like this, Susan!