Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mom's Strufoli

6 eggs
(Save one half of an egg shell for measuring later.)

Add 6-- 1/2 shells of corn oil
add 4-- 1/2 shells of water

5 cups of flour

Mix all of the above and bring together.
Knead well until the dough is smooth and firm enough to handle.
Let it rest for 20-30 minutes covered.

Meanwhile heat your oil to 350 degrees.

Roll your dough into long ropes.



Cut them into small pieces and put on a dish towel until you fry them.



Once they are all cut you can begin frying.
Fry them until they are a light golden color.



Remove from hot oil to a tray lined with paper towels to drain and cool.
Warm plenty of your favorite honey.

Once they are all fried and cooled transfer them to a large bowl.
Pour the heated hone all over the Strufoli and begin tossing with a large spoon. Continue this until all the little balls are completely covered in honey.

You can now arrange them on a dish or platter in whatever shape you like. Then sprinkle with your favorite jimmies.




Enjoy!
I'm submitting this to Food Bloggas Eat Christmas Cookies blogging event. Check this link to participate in the event. Or check here to see the roundup (gets updated as entries come in).

7 comments:

Cristine said...

Looks fantastic!!! YUM!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Growing up in predominantly Italian Rhode Island, I am quite familiar with huge trays of candy sprinkled struffoli. Just looking at your pic makes me feel like I'm inside of a sweet, warm Italian bakery.

SheBellaMia said...

These are one of my favorites. I can't wait to make them again this year.

priscilla joy said...

Yum! These look so good! I'd love to try these!

Anonymous said...

Hi - In our family, we call them honey cookies and my mother loves them! My problem is that I never seem to get the honey to stick in at thick enough layer. Also, was there a typo? It says "pour hot oil over...." Did you mean "pour hot honey over..."?
Thanks!

Susan said...

Priscilla - you will love these if you have never had them...finger food at the table!
Marie C thank you so much for catching my typo...it could have been a disaster!

Anonymous said...

I saw these over at Susan's blog and thought..why don't I know her yet?! haha. It's always a fine thing to meet another Italian food blogger. Now, I must go and have a look around! Merry Christmas!
Maryann xox