Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My version of a "Hostess Cupcake"

Todays fun cupcake was my version of a "Hostess Cupcake" from way back when!

I know they still sell them but they aren't as exciting these days as they were when I was a kid!
I deceided to copy that classic and bring back the excitement!
When my family saw them they were thrilled!



Being pressed for time I made a boxed mix of 24 chocolate cupcakes.


I also made a batch of buttercream icing for the filling.

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
4 cups confectioner's sugar (approximately 1 lb.) sifted
2 Tablespoons milk
Icing makes about 3 cups.
Instructions(Medium Consistency):
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.Add vanilla.Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
I made some chocolate ganache to dip my little jewels in .



For ganache glaze:
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
20 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate .





I finished them off with a little butter cream squiggle......
They came cute -but best of all they tasted really yummy!

They passed the family taste test!






1 comment:

brneyedgal967 said...

OMG - I would've never thought to try to replicate a Hostess cupcake!! What a great idea!