Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Booo-tiful Halloween Cupcake Contest Entry



Today I made cupcakes for the first annual Halloween Cupcake contest hosted by How To Eat A Cupcake and I Heart Cuppycakes!
The contest runs until November 6th @ 12midnight EST so hurry up and start baking! The prizes are super too!

My cupcakes were a big hit and my family couldn’t wait for me to finish taking my pictures so they could eat them.

I made basic yellow cake cupcakes (because they always come so moist).
Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Put muffin papers in muffin pans for 24 cupcakes.
In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wire whisk.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time.

Add vanilla and mix until completely combined.
Slowly add flour alternately with milk.
At end of addition batter should be smooth.
Fill each cupcake paper half way.
I baked them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Cool 5 minutes in pan, then remove to a rack and cool completely before frosting.


I made the basic Wilton Butter Cream icing for decorating and I tinted it orange..
Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar (approximately 1 lb.) sifted
2 Tablespoons milk
Icing makes about 3 cups.
Instructions(Medium Consistency):
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.
Add vanilla.
Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.
Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.
When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.
Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

I topped each cupcake with a spooky peanut butter eye ball!

3 comments:

CB said...

Love the eyeballs! Not sure I could eat a cupcake that was staring back at me though. HAHA. Thanks for entering the Halloween Cupcake Contest!
Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes look fantastic!! I love the eyeballs on top. Good luck with the contest!! :)

Lucy..♥ said...

Wonderful Halloween cupcakes!! Good Luck.. you've got a winner there!!